Duration: 8 Days
Route: Northern Circuit
Elevation: 2385m to 2780m
Distance: 7 kms
Hiking Time: 3-4 hours
Habitat: Mountain Forest
LONDOROSI GATE TO MTI MKUBWA FOREST CAMP
Drive from your hotel towards the western side of Kilimanjaro where we sign in at Londorosi Gate and get a permit to start our climb. We will drive again for 45minutes (11KM), to the trail where we will find our climbing crew ready and waiting to start our climbing. Our cook will prepare a hot lunch for you before we start our ascent along the Forest Trail to Mti Mkubwa (Big Tree Campsite).
Elevation: 2780m to 3500m
Distance: 12 kms
Hiking Time: 6-7 hours
Habitat: Heather & Moorland
MTI MKUBWA TO SHIRA 1
This morning we ascend to Shira Camp which is located along the Shira Caldera. The hike will take about 2 hours before we are out of the forest zone and into the heather zone. Here we stop for a hot lunch then continue on to the Shira Ridge and camp in the Shira Caldera with its dramatic views of Kibo Vulcananic cone forming the main summit of Mount Kilimanjaro.
The land here looks like a savanna grassland with a beautiful view of heather bushes which grow into a “colony” formed to resist the cold weather as well as wind.
On a clear night you can see dramatic views of stars across the whole sky. Sometimes you will hear Jackal barking at night. You will also see some signs of Buffalo, Eland, Servaservile and other animals during the hike.
The trek gets steeper as you go on this day.
Elevation: 3500m to 4170m
Distance: 9 Kms
Hiking Time: 5-6 Hours
SHIRA I CAMP TO MOIR HUT
Today’s hike is not very long with just two steep sections of the trek. You will start your trek before 9am in the morning, cross some streams and visit Fischer’s Memorial on the way. Camp will be in the upper heather zone at the foot of Giant Lava Flow.
Elevation: 4,170m to 4,017m
Distance: 9 kms
Hiking Time: 6-7 Hours
Habitat: Semi Desert
MOIR HUT TO POFU
Today you continue to wind your way from the foot of Kibo starting with the steep climb of the Moir Valley. From the top of the Valley, after enjoy the view, the trail passes through a field of rock slabs. The last part of today’s trek undulates as we cross several valleys until reaching Pofu Campsite.
Elevation: 4,017m to 3,900m
Distance: 6 Kms
Hiking Time: 3.5 hours
Habitat: Semi Desert
POFU CAMP TO 3RD CAVE CAMP
After breakfast we continue eastward. Mawenzi Peak starts getting closer, and the Kibo Saddle comes into view as our trail intersects with the Rongai Route. The trek is shorter than the day before and by now you should be feeling well acclimatized to the altitude. You will arrive at the Third Cave just around mid-day.
Evaluation: 3,900m to 4,720m
Distance: 5 kms
Hiking Time: 2-3 hours
Habitat: Alpine Desert
3RD CAVE CAMP TO SCHOOL HUT CAMP
We leave our camp to cross the lunar desert of the ‘Saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach School Hut campsite (4,720m) at the bottom of the Kibo Crater wall by early afternoon. The remainder of the day is spent resting in preparation for the final ascent!
Elevation: 4720m to 5895m (3000M)
Distance: 5 Kms
Hiking Time:(6-7 hours ascent), 12kms (5 hours Descent)
Habitat: Stone Scree & Ice-capped Summit
SCHOOL HUT TO SUMMIT TO MWEKA CAMP VIA MILLENNIUM
You will be waken at 23:00 and start dressing for the summit. At 23:30 you will have a quick breakfast (normally oats porridge, some fruit, tea, biscuits and toasted bread). At midnight we will start our trek into the cold night air towards the summit Uhuru Peak. The climb is gradual and not very difficult, the altitude however can make it more challenging.
It can be very cold at night on these sections, but it will be quite warm by the end of the hiking day. Upon reaching Uhuru, we take some photos before beginning the descent to Millennium Camp arriving in time for lunch. After lunch our journey continues onto your last camp on Kilimanjaro, Mweka Camp.
Elevation: 3000m to 1630m
Distance: 8 kms
Hiking Time: 5-6 Hours
Habitat:Heather & Mountain Forest
MWEKA CAMP TO MWEKA GATE
After breakfast , we finish the trek with a descent to Mweka gate to receive your summit certificate.
The vehicle will be waiting at the Mweka gate to take us back to Arusha after having lunch in Moshi town.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
All of the following are included in your package:
- Your lead guide, assistant guide/s, cook and porters.
- Fair staff wages for all guides, cook and porters.
- Meals while in mountain. Our staff are fed 3 hot meals a day while on the mountain. Only 10% of companies provide this level of food for their staff.
- All Park, Camping & Rescue Fees including the 18% VAT government tax that started 1st July 2016.
- All meals including hot Breakfast, hot lunch, hot dinner, beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) and afternoon tea for climbers. Our meals are all served at table with chairs – no sitting on a rock eating.
- 3 litres of treated and filtered drinking water every day, more if you would like.
- Private toilet tent – no smelly communal toilets for you.
- Large mess tent for meals.
- 3-man size sleeping tents for 2 persons.
- Table, chairs for meals and to relax.
- Comfortable 4 inch Sleeping mattress.
- Emergency oxygen.
- First Aid Kit.
- Pulse Oximeter to check oxygen level while trekking.
- Transport to the Park gate & return to your hotel in Arusha.
- Transfers from Kilimanjaro Airport/Arusha airport to your hotel and return. If you are in group all members should arrive in the same time.
Accomodation in Arusha:
- Two nights shared accommodation in Arusha – 1 night before your climb starts and another night after your climb, in a Standard Hotel, which is a bed and breakfast.
WHAT NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
These are the items we do not include and that you will need to cover for your trek:
- Tips: Gratuities in Tanzania tourism industry follow the American system. Tourists are expected to tip their climb and safari staff, together with staff working in most hotels and restaurants.
- Tipping Guidelines: For the CLIMB you should consider tipping at minimum US $300 per climber. If you enjoy your experience give a generous tip, if you do not enjoy your experience adjust the tip accordingly.
- Personal climbing equipment including clothing and sleeping bag.
- Flights, Travel Insurance and Visa.
The Price for 8 Day Northern Route is US $ 2,960 per person in group of two. The price may decrease depending on numbers of clients and excludes some of services included in the package. Find what included in our package.