Duration: 7 Days
Elevation (m): 1950m to 2600m
Time: 4 hours
Habitat: Montane forest.
RONGAI GATE TO FIRST CAVE’S CAMP
We will register at Marangu Park Gate and then drive to the Rongai trailhead and the Nale Moru village. This drive will take approximately 21/2 hours. After getting there we will begin your trek and cross maize fields and climb through a pine forest. This climb is gentle one on a small winding path. The first night’s camp is at first cave 2600m altitude.
Elevation (m): 2600m to 3600m
Time: 6- 7 hours
FIRST CAVE TO KIKELEWA CAVE
Today our trek continues up towards Kibo, passing, Second Cave (3450m) and reaching Kikelewa Cave at 3600nmeters. From here you will you will find a best view of Mt Kilimanjaro. Tonight camp is at third cave camp (Kikelewa caves ).
Elevation (m): 3600m to 4330m
KIKELEWA CAVE TO MAWENZI TARN
Today we start with a short but steep climb up grassy slope. At the top you will have magnificent 360 degree views. Our next camp for the right is at base of Mawenzi peak (4330m).
Elevation (m): 4330m
We will spend an extra day at Mawenzi Tarn to acclimatize. Here we will explore the area surrounding Mawenzi Tarn and then in the afternoon rest as preparation for continuing trek tomorrow.
Elevation (m): 4330m to 4750m
Distance: 4 km
Time: 3 hours
Habitat: Alpine desert
MAWENZI TARN TO KIBO CAMPSITE
Today we cross the lunar desert of the ‘Saddle’ between Mawenzi and Kibo to reach Kibo campsite (4750m) at the bottom of the Kibo crater wall. The rest of the day is spent in preparation for the ascent. During this time you will have an early dinner, finish preparing your personal gear and get some sleep.
Elevation (m): 4750m to 5895m
Distance: 6 km ascent/16km descent
Time: 6-8 hours ascent/4-5 hours descent
Habitat: Stone scree and ice-capped summit.
KIBO CAMPSITE TO UHURU PEAK TO HOROMBO HUT
We will wake you up at 23.30 hours, have some breakfast and then at midnight start our ascent. The first section of the trail consists of a rocky path to the Hans Meyer Cave (5150m). We then zigzag up to Gillman’s point (5680m), on the crater rim.
This section is very steep with much stone scree and is the most demanding section of the route. From Gillman’s Point we could encounter snow all the way up to Uhuru Peak (5895m), the highest point in Africa. After taking photos and breathing in the views we descend back to Kibo Hut and then Horomobo where we camp overnight for last night in Mount Kilimanjaro.
Elevation (m): 3720m to 1980m
Time: 5-7 hours
HOROMBO HUT TO MARANGU GATE
This morning we continue our descent, passing Mandara Hut, down to the Marangu Gate. We will then go to lunch and you will receive your summit certificates. After lunch we will drive you back to your hotel and say our farewell.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
All of the following are included in your package:
- Your lead guide, assistant guide/s, cook and porters.
- Fair staff wages for all guides, cook and porters.
- Meals while in mountain. Our staff are fed 3 hot meals a day while on the mountain. Only 10% of companies provide this level of food for their staff.
- All Park, Camping & Rescue Fees including the 18% VAT government tax that started 1st July 2016.
- All meals including hot Breakfast, hot lunch, hot dinner, beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) and afternoon tea for climbers. Our meals are all served at table with chairs – no sitting on a rock eating.
- 3 litres of treated and filtered drinking water every day, more if you would like.
- Private toilet tent – no smelly communal toilets for you.
- Large mess tent for meals.
- 3-man size sleeping tents for 2 persons.
- Table, chairs for meals and to relax.
- Comfortable 4 inch Sleeping mattress.
- Emergency oxygen.
- First Aid Kit.
- Pulse Oximeter to check oxygen level while trekking.
- Transport to the Park gate & return to your hotel in Arusha.
- Transfers from Kilimanjaro Airport/Arusha airport to your hotel and return. If you are in group all members should arrive in the same time.
Accomodation in Arusha:
- Two nights shared accommodation in Arusha – 1 night before your climb starts and another night after your climb, in a Standard Hotel, which is a bed and breakfast.
WHAT NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
These are the items we do not include and that you will need to cover for your trek:
- Tips: Gratuities in Tanzania tourism industry follow the American system. Tourists are expected to tip their climb and safari staff, together with staff working in most hotels and restaurants.
- Tipping Guidelines: For the CLIMB you should consider tipping at minimum US $300 per climber. If you enjoy your experience give a generous tip, if you do not enjoy your experience adjust the tip accordingly.
- Personal climbing equipment including clothing and sleeping bag.
- Flights, Travel Insurance and Visa.
The Price for 7 Day Rongai Route is US $ 2,710 per person. The price may decrease depending on numbers of clients and excludes some of services included in the package. Find what included in our package.