Duration: 6 Days
Elevation (m): 1980m to 2700m, Distance: 7km, Time:3hours. Habitat: Montane Forest.
MARANGU GATE TO MANDARA HUT
You will be picked up from your hotel in the morning and driven to Mount Kilimanjaro National park gate. Once signed in at the park and final preparations are complete, we start ascending on a cleared ridge trail through the rainforest. The forest is where the most of Kilimanjaro’s animals are found, our first night is at Mandara Hut camp set in a forest zone. This camp consists of group of wooden A-Framed hut and flushes toilets behind the main hut.
Elevation (m): 2700m to 3720m, Distance:12Km, Time:6hours,Habitat:Moorland.
MANDARA HUT TO HOROMBO HUT
In the morning we leave camp and trek through a short stretch of forest through to moorland, circumventing the base of the Maundi Crater. In the afternoon we will reach the Horombo Hut where will we stay overnight.
Elevation (m): 3720,Habitat:Moorland.
HOROMBO HUT (ACCLIMATISATION)
Given that this route poses challenges for being properly acclimatized, we advise spending another night at Horombo Hut. During this day we will trek towards Mawenzi, passing the zebra Rocks on the way (about 3 hours up and 1.5 hours down) and then return to Horombo Hut.
Elevation (m): 3720m to 4700m, Distance:9.5Km, Time: 5hours. Habitat : alpine desert.
HOROMBO HUT TO KIBO HUT
Today we continue our ascent into the Alpine desert zone to Kibo Hut. From Kibo Hut, the summit is now only another 1195m ascent. This afternoon we will have an early dinner, prepare your personal gear for the summit and then get some sleep. Our summit trek starts tonight.
Elevation (m): 4700 to 5895m, distance: 21Km,Time: 6-7hours ascent, 3 hours descent. Habitat : Stone screed and ice- capped summit
KIBO HUT SUMMIT
You will be woken around 23:30 pm, and after a hot breakfast we will start our final summit. The first section of the trail consists of rocky path to Hans Mayer point (5250m). The path then zigzags to Gillman’s point(5680m) on the crater rim. This section is very steep with a lot of scree.
From Gillman’s point we could encounter snow all the way up to Uhuru park (5895M), The highest point in Africa. After taking photos at the summit we start the 3 hours descent back to Kibo Hut. After a short rest we pack up all your personal gear and trek down to Horombo Hut(3hours). Tonight is our last night on the mountain.
Elevation (m): 3720m to 1980m, Distance:18Km, Time: 6 hours.
HOROMBO HUT TO MARANGU GATE
This morning we make our final descent down to Marangu Gate where we started. You will be taken for lunch and here you will receive your summit certificate to commemorate your great achievement.
We will then drive you back to your hotel where we will say our farewell.
WHAT IS INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
All of the following are included in your package:
- Your lead guide, assistant guide/s, cook and porters.
- Fair staff wages for all guides, cook and porters.
- Meals while in mountain. Our staff are fed 3 hot meals a day while on the mountain. Only 10% of companies provide this level of food for their staff.
- All Park, Camping & Rescue Fees including the 18% VAT government tax that started 1st July 2016.
- All meals including hot Breakfast, hot lunch, hot dinner, beverages (coffee, tea, hot chocolate) and afternoon tea for climbers. Our meals are all served at table with chairs – no sitting on a rock eating.
- 3 litres of treated and filtered drinking water every day, more if you would like.
- Private toilet tent – no smelly communal toilets for you.
- Large mess tent for meals.
- 3-man size sleeping tents for 2 persons.
- Table, chairs for meals and to relax.
- Comfortable 4 inch Sleeping mattress.
- Emergency oxygen.
- First Aid Kit.
- Pulse Oximeter to check oxygen level while trekking.
- Transport to the Park gate & return to your hotel in Arusha.
- Transfers from Kilimanjaro Airport/Arusha airport to your hotel and return. If you are in group all members should arrive in the same time.
Accomodation in Arusha:
- Two nights shared accommodation in Arusha – 1 night before your climb starts and another night after your climb, in a Standard Hotel, which is a bed and breakfast.
WHAT NOT INCLUDED IN YOUR PACKAGE?
These are the items we do not include and that you will need to cover for your trek:
- Tips: Gratuities in Tanzania tourism industry follow the American system. Tourists are expected to tip their climb and safari staff, together with staff working in most hotels and restaurants.
- Tipping Guidelines: For the CLIMB you should consider tipping at minimum US $300 per climber. If you enjoy your experience give a generous tip, if you do not enjoy your experience adjust the tip accordingly.
- Personal climbing equipment including clothing and sleeping bag.
- Flights, Travel Insurance and Visa.